If there’s one woman who knows her cake frosting, it’s Elizabeth Mayhew. She’s the owner of The Dutchy of Millbrook bakery in Hudson Valley, New York, where she creates beautiful cakes with artfully frosted designs.
The former contributing editor at NBC's Today Show and ex-editor at House Beautiful, Southern Living, and Reese Witherspoon’s clothing brand, Draper James, Elizabeth is known for her impeccable taste. She now devotes her time to making delicious cakes.
Elizabeth Mayhew takes inspiration from our latest Mermaid collection to create this luscious cake!
Elizabeth is famed for her charm cakes. ‘Think of them as edible charm bracelets - you send me a list of your favourite hobbies, foods, flowers, animals etc and I create a bespoke cake for you!’ she explains. Here she reveals her new and improved buttercream recipe.
5 large egg yolks
200g granulated sugar
225g butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Makes approximately 460g, enough to frost an 8-inch layer cake.
1. Place the egg yolks in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat egg yolks on high until light in colour.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and water and place over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
3. Continue to boil, without stirring until, when measured with a candy thermometer, the temperature reaches 105°C.
4. Remove the syrup from the heat and immediately pour half of it into the egg yolks.
5. Beat on high for 5 seconds then, with the beater off, add the remaining syrup. Beat on high until the mixture is cool.
6. Add the butter to the egg mixture and beat on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Use immediately.
Follow Elizabeth Mayhew on Instagram @elizabethmayhew